Watching and interpreting emerging trends can help international educators define priorities resources and improve impact of their work. As a part of the article for NAFSA International Educator, I asked 14 international education leaders from diverse geographical and institutional settings for their perspective on what’s next for the field in the new year by posing two questions:
- What is one key trend you think is shaping the field of international education in 2020, and why is it significant?
- What is one opportunity and one challenge facing international educators in responding to this trend?
The answers, from leaders with a variety of experience and expertise, present a picture of where the field is likely to go in 2020, and beyond, and what opportunities international educators should anticipate.
- Cen Huang, Vice-Provost and Associate Vice-President (International), University of Alberta
- Cheryl D. Young, Assistant Provost for Global Initiatives, Miami University
- Eduardo Contreras, Assistant Provost for International Education, Diversity, and Inclusion, University of Portland
- John McLoughlin, Former Senior Director of Enrollment, Concordia College New York
- Karen Vahey, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, NY Tech
- Kathleen Massey, Associate Vice President (Students), University of Lethbridge
- Kelechi Kalu, Vice Provost of International Affairs at the University of California, Riverside
- Molly J. Watkins, Assistant Provost for International Affairs, Case Western Reserve University
- Neal R. McCrillis, Vice Provost for Global Engagement, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Nick Miles OBE, Provost and Pro-Vice Chancellor, University of Nottingham Ningbo China
- Richard Follett, Associate Vice President (International), University of Sussex
- Roger Brindley, USF System Vice President, USF World, University of South Florida
- Tina Rousselot de Saint Céran, Director of International Student and Scholar Services, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Winnie Eley, Vice President, International, University of Southampton